Laura Mauldin: “If he gets COVID, it’s over”

Check out Sociology Assistant Professor Laura Mauldin’s recent article in Caring Across Generations titled “‘If he gets COVID, it’s over’: I talked to spousal caregivers during COVID, here’s what I’ve learned.” The article talks about the stress spousal caregivers are faced with due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

***Excerpt from Article***

“Family caregivers are everywhere. The latest studies show there are 53 million of them, an increase of 9.5 million in just the last 5 years. My research focuses on spousal caregivers, a subpopulation of family caregivers. Spousal caregivers differ from other family caregivers: They assist with more activities of daily living, perform more medical or nursing tasks, are almost always the sole caregiver, and are far more likely to be doing “high intensity” caregiving. They also report feeling significantly more stressed and more alone than other types of caregivers. The COVID-19 pandemic has markedly worsened the situation. I talked to 43 caregivers ranging from 29-87 years old, across 21 states. I asked them about the effects of COVID-19 on their lives.”

Posted by Malley, Mary in News