Below is an outline of the Sociology major requirements effective the 2018-2019 catalog year and beyond. Please contact your faculty advisor or Kathryn Upson with any questions.
- One of the following:
- SOCI 1001 – Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI 1251 – Social Problems
- SOCI 1501 – Race, Class, and Gender
- SOCI 1701 – Society in Global Perspective
Note: SOCI 1001W, 1251W, 1501W, and 1701W may also be used to satisfy this requirement.
24 Credits of 2000+ level SOCI or cross-listed courses:
- SOCI 3201 – Research Methods (3 credits)
- SOCI 3211Q – Quantitative Methods in Social Research (4 credits) OR PSYC 2100Q and an additional SOCI 2000+ level course
- Prerequisites for SOCI 3211Q: STAT 1000Q or 1100Q (or instructor consent) and SOCI 3201
- SOCI 3251/W – Social Theory (3 credits)
- 5 more courses in Sociology at the 2000+ level, including one W course unless SOCI 3251 was taken as a W.
- These are your choice from the SOCI course offerings.
- No more than 3 credits of SOCI 3990 (Internship) can count towards the major.
- Twelve credits of 2000+ level courses in departments other than SOCI and that are not cross-listed with SOCI.
- See list of pre-approved relateds, which will automatically be counted as related.
- Your advisor may approve other 2000+ level courses as related on your final plan of study. Note that Student Admin only recognizes courses from the pre-approved list. Don’t be concerned – your advisor’s approval on the final plan of study is what counts.
- A “C” average or better is required in the 24 credit group for the Sociology major. Courses with a grade of “C-” or lower can still count towards the major as long as the overall average major GPA is 2.0 or higher.
- No pass/fail courses can be used towards the major, except those taken during Spring 2020.
- No more than 11 2000-level or above SOCI transfer credits may count toward the major.